Friday, April 8, 2011

Friday Afternoon Update

Hi...it's Karen. I just got home from visiting with my dad this afternoon. I just wanted to do a quick update. I was happy to spend time with my dad today, just doing 'normal' things. This is hard to explain, but my dad just seemed so 'normal' today. He looked great. He felt good. And he was alert and not in any pain or experiencing and discomfort. He had only had a short day of therapy - only having 3 sessions, when he usually has 6, so I am sure this contributed to his relaxed state of being. ;)

So, after an update on the snowstorm we were having on this not-so-spring-like day, we watched a couple of sitcoms on TV. This is something that I do often with my dad, as he frequently comes down to my house in the evenings to watch TV with Jim & I, so it was so nice just to do something 'normal'. Dad even chuckled at most of the funny parts.

One of dad's classmates, Don Fawson stopped by for a quick visit. It's always fun for dad to take a walk down 'memory lane' with his old friends, and it's always good for us to see that he still has those memories. I also heard that he had an visit earlier today from President Phelps from our Stake Presidency. These visits are all appreciated and are a welcome distraction from the mundane-ness of the hospital.

After Don's visit, dad shared his dinner with me, since I was starving (he ate the lasagna, roll & pink lemonade, and I ate the green beans). And we just had a nice time visiting and just....'be' - ing. He was upbeat, and in very good spirits, and other than his speech and him laying in a hospital bed (LOL)...it just felt like a normal, everyday visit with my dad.

The highlight of his day I'm sure, happened shortly after Susan arrived for the 'shift change'. I bent down to give my dad a hug and stood up and smacked my head on the metal extension bar that holds the TV. Dad made a pained face and said, 'ohhhhh', and then all three of us proceeded into a fit of laughter. It was worth the headache that followed, just to hear my dad laugh..... :) Anyway, just wanted to let you know that he is doing well today...so thank you for the prayers that have been being offered in his behalf...(and ours). I felt truly blessed today, to see my dad have a good 'normal' day!

2 comments:

  1. Karen....thank you! I loved reading about your time with him. I had been there Wednesday evening and Denn was not Denn. I missed him. There were breif moments...but I felt he was discouraged in my not being able to understand him. He seemed tired and frustrated. I know he will go in and out of these times. Recovery and healing are exhausting. However, I know that what can and should be for his life - will be. We go forward planning on the miracle of healing and recovery and leave the rest to God. I love to hear about Denn and each of you. God bless you - each of you - for your tender, loving care.
    Love and Prayers....Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally made me smile!!! Sounds like he is doing remarkably well!! ;) YEAH!! Sorry you bonked your head!!! So glad he is getting visitors and feeling upbeat!

    ReplyDelete