Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Fun Day Out

Hi everybody! It's Karen . I just wanted to do a quick update about my dad's fun adventure yesterday. About a week ago, Patricia, his Recreational Therapist told us that she would plan sometime soon, to take Dad on a 'field trip' of his choosing. So yesterday was the day! Last week, when dad decided that he would like his field trip to be going to a movie, they read through current movies playing, and he chose to see 'Conspirator' a movie about the Lincoln assassination. He has been looking forward to doing this, everyday, since the chose the movie, date, & time! When I was here on Saturday, I asked him if he was excited and he indicated that he was excited to see the movie, but that he was most excited because a few of his kids were going too! So, yesterday I got to the hospital about 12:00 and spent the next couple of hours with dad in therapy. This was fun, because now that we mostly come in the evenings, we don't get so sit in on very many therapy sessions anymore. Dad is doing really good! Improving each time I come. Yesterday in therapy they worked with him moving from his wheelchair to a bed, on his own. This has been really tricky up until this point, because he has such limited use in his right side. He has to really support all of his weight on his left side. But, he did it, about 9 times actually! Exhausting work, and slow going most of the time, but he is getting stronger each day, and it shows. I was super proud of how far he's come. It was a big day, and I asked him if he felt good, knowing that he did that 'chair to bed' transition on his own, and he did. I'm not sure if he was as happy as I was though. ;) YAY for dad!

Anyway, about 2:30, Patricia came and walked my dad and I out to the Hospital Van that has a wheelchair lift. Dad thought that was pretty cool. She said that we didn't NEED to use it, that we could have taken him in a car, but 'hey, why not...it's here to use'. LOL. Dad operated the lift, to get himself into the van, and I was surprised just how secure the wheelchair was in the back. I don't think it even moved 1/4 inch, during the whole ride. Dad LOVED the drive. Loved seeing the different surroundings and such. I had fun showing him my favorite old homes, that I've driven past about 100 times now. We had a nice visit on the drive over to the Theater. Ryan, Sharon, Alison & Aidan (who got extra credit for school for seeing this movie), & Diane all met us at the theater. My dad was super excited to see so many of his kids there! He seemed to really enjoy the movie, and although I thought for sure he'd sleep through most of it, after such a hard day of therapy, he surprised us, and only took a little cat nap, during one part. (He didn't miss anything important) ;)

After the movie, we talked outside for just a bit, and then said our good-byes and then we loaded up in the van to head back to the hospital. We took a different route back this time, going up State Street. Dad noticed this and asked where we were going, which I thought was funny. As we got nearer to the State Capital building, dad and I wondered what Leslie would be doing at work right then. I told him that I'd have to message her and let her know that we'd seen her 'office' on our drive. When we got back to the hospital, there was a note on Dad's bed from Leslie. We thought it was too funny that we were just talking about her, and wondering what she was doing, when she was actually trying to visit Dad! :) He enjoyed the note she'd left for him, so thanks Leslie!!

Well, Sharon drove to the hospital from the movie, and brought some yummy take out food from Zuppas! We had promised my dad the chance to eat 'real food' on this outing. He didn't want to eat during the movie, so we brought it back here. Sharon & I took dad into the common room, where they have lots of tables & chairs, and had a nice dinner of yummy soup and gourmet grilled sandwiches. YUM! Once dinner was done, dad was worn out! I headed home, and Sharon stayed while he got tucked in and ready for a good nights sleep. He had a very fun, productive day of doing something that brought him much joy before his stroke....movies AND family! 2 of his favorite things! It was nice to see him get to enjoy something he actually enjoys doing....as it's been a long while since he's been able to do that. And it made me look forward to the chance to go to many more movies with him!

Thanks for all the well wishes still coming in! We appreciate your concern just as much today, as we did a month ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment